HONOLULU (KHON2) – Big Island firefighters put out a fire in Pahoa that was apparently left unattended, causing a one-story building to collapse and the deaths of three pet geese on Thursday, October 7.
According to the Hawaii County Fire Department, the incident happened around 11:50 a.m. Thursday and was located in a residential building on Kaimu Chain of Craters Road, near kilometer 24.
Receive news wherever you are with KHON 2GO, KHON’s morning podcast, every morning at 8 a.m.
Firefighters arrived at the scene at around 12:12 p.m. and found the structure completely devastated by flames. Authorities said the building collapsed shortly after.
Authorities said the owners were not at home during the incident. Neighbors said the owner was apparently burning trash and left the scene in a green KIA, leaving the fire unattended. The structure then caught fire.
Two other vehicles and a small pile of tires were also on fire, and three pet geese were found dead in their cages.
Find out what’s going on around Hawaii on our Local News page
Firefighters extinguished the blaze around 1:30 p.m., officials said. The estimated cost of the damage is $ 25,000. No injuries were reported and surrounding structures were unaffected. The investigation is ongoing.