One building spared, one demolished in Cannelton as owner asks for temporary stay

0

[ad_1]

CANNELTON, Ind. (WFIE) – On Friday, a pair of buildings in Cannelton were due to be demolished; however, only one was destroyed.

The two buildings sit across from each other at the intersection of Washington Street and Sixth Street, and according to Mayor Ralph Terry, they had to be torn down because they were deemed unsafe.

“Two different inspectors ruled them bad,” he said, explaining the emergency demolition order.

He said that when the first building fell, the owner, Carolyn Barr, was inside the other building to prevent its demolition. When this happened, his attorney filed a stay to stop any further action.

“We were supposed to demolish this building as well this morning, but the reprieve took effect just as this building was falling,” the mayor explained.

A stay is a legal action that ends the legal proceedings. They are usually temporary.

Speaking to 14 News, Barr said there was more to her side of the story, but she hasn’t explained it yet.

Mayor Terry was also silent on the details.

“It’s in court,” he said. “[I] can’t talk much about the dispute. [The owners are] say that [the buildings are] not dangerous and that they are working on it.

Mayor Terry said he wanted to settle the dispute as soon as possible to demolish the building.

14 News spoke to a neighbor who said he was worried about the building collapsing, but in the last month or so he has seen construction going on to at least close the windows and keep things relatively in order.

14 News also spoke with Barr, and while she didn’t provide any information, a statement from her attorney is awaited.

[ad_2]
Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.