Five dead and many injured in the fire of a building in Buenos Aires — MercoPress

0

Five dead and many injured in the fire of a building in Buenos Aires

Thursday, June 23, 2022 – 21:51 UTC


A 52-year-old man is hospitalized in critical condition and on life support, Crescenti said.

At least five people belonging to a Jewish family died on Thursday and 35 others were injured in a fire at an apartment building in downtown Buenos Aires, it was reported.

Firefighters were able to prevent the fire from reaching adjacent structures, authorities also said after a deployment that included 22 ambulances from SAME First Response Medical Services.

The fire started at 5:50 a.m. for reasons still unknown on the seventh floor of the 14-story building Equateur 1026. At that time, most residents were still asleep.

The five victims, three children and two women, lived in the apartment where the fire broke out and belonged to the Jewish community, confirmed the president of the AMIA, Amos Linetzky.

“The five people were rescued alive and unconscious by the city’s firefighters,” said SAME deputy chief Pablo Giardina. “They were handed over to SAME medical staff, but unfortunately they later arrived dead at the respective hospitals,” he added.

SAME director Alberto Crescenti said “everything that could be done was done, but it was impossible due to the amount of smoke inhaled”. He also noted that one of the children had been burned by the flames.

The firefighting operation lasted more than 3 hours, SAME authorities also told reporters. Shortly after 9:30 a.m., 35 residents of the building were evacuated and assisted, including a pregnant woman, who were taken to six different hospitals in Buenos Aires.

Crescenti also admitted that a 52-year-old man taken by ambulance to Rivadavia Hospital was in a “delicate condition” and on mechanical life support.

Three police officers from the city of Buenos Aires were also hospitalized as a precaution due to the amount of smoke inhaled.

The Mayor of Buenos Aires, Horacio Rodríguez Larreta, visited the scene of the fire and expressed his “condolences to the family” of the deceased and took the opportunity to once again congratulate the first responders and SAME for their “professionalism and commitment”.

Rodriguez Larreta and the municipal chief of staff Felipe Miguel arrived at 9:20 a.m. at the gates of the building.

The city authorities also explained that “the building has all the necessary documents up to date”, meaning that it has passed all safety inspections.



Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.