Fire destroys historic building in Seymour: officials – NBC Connecticut


A fire destroyed a historic building in Seymour on Wednesday and two firefighters were treated for minor injuries, according to the Seymour Fire Marshal’s Office.

Preliminary findings from the investigation appear to indicate that the fire started when a store employee accidentally ignited wax while polishing merchandise.

Firefighters were dispatched just after 2 p.m. to a fire at 4 Bank Street and found heavy fire. The Office of the Fire Marshal said Thursday the actual address was 141 Main Street.

Conditions began to deteriorate above them and the fire spread into the communal attic above the businesses, fire officials said.

Around 150 firefighters battled the blaze for five hours and the building was deemed a total loss.

Five business owners are displaced as a result of the fire. The building housed a massage parlour, two antique shops and a hair salon.

A tenant has been assessed.

Firefighters said residents of two nearby buildings were evacuated as a precaution. About 13 residents would be displaced

The Seymour Fire Marshal’s Office, Seymour Police Department, and Connecticut State Police Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit are investigating.

The Office of the Fire Marshal said preliminary findings appeared to indicate that this fire was the result of a store employee who accidentally ignited wax while polishing some merchandise.

Source link


Comments are closed.